Monday, January 18, 2010

Dobry


This was a book about a young Bulgarian boy who wants to be an artist. Dobry, like a lot of children, had a hard time convincing his mother of his capabilities. Monica Shannon's approach to children's literature it similar to Kate DiCamillo's. They both use a broader range of vocabulary and assume that their readers will figure out what the words mean. I love this approach and like to learn new words this way. I was disappointed that it was out of print. I liked it much more than some of the books that are older and still in print.

Rating: *****

1 comment:

  1. I'm currently doing the Newbery Challenge chronologically and Dobry's next on my list, so I'm glad to have found your blog. Kudos on having read them all. P.S. I'm glad to hear Dobry was one of the better oldies.

    ReplyDelete