Thursday, September 29, 2011

Are You There God? Its Me, Margret.

This is probably one of the most commonly banned books written for girls my age. It has been on my list for about a year now and finally made it to the top because Mrs. Sanders (the librarian at my school) suggested that I read it in honor of Banned Books Week. I am really glad that I did because it was wonderful. I was going to put my favorite part into the review, but I can't decide. They were all great!!! One of the ways I cøuld tell that that this book had been around for along time is that whenever I told an adult woman that I was reading it she would say that she had read and loved it when she was my age. The reason this book was banned so frequently is blatantly obvious when you read the back: because it deals with puberty and religion. I think that all girls my age should read this book (even though I have always said the best books can be read by girls or boys, I think this one is an exception).

Rating: *****

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura,

    My 5th grade teacher read this out loud to the class back in 1975. Needless to say the boys squirmed. Glad you enjoyed it. :-)

    Elyse

    ReplyDelete