Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Inside Out and Back Again

This is first book I read on my iPad 2.  I really liked how this book was written as poetry.  I found that this form of writing was just right for the story that was being told.  This book took place in 1975 and 1976 in Saigon, at sea, in Guam and in Alabama.  I thought that the way some Vietnamese words were used was a little confusing (some of them I had to look up, disrupting the flow of the poems), but most of the time I could get by without knowing their meanings and still get the concept of the story and enjoy it.  Over all I really liked the experience of reading this book and I think Ha's story was a good one.  I found the Author's Note interesting and the fact that most of these things really happened amazed me.  This book is really good and I liked it lots, but I don't know if it is quite good enough to be a Newbery.  We will have to wait and see.  And, as an added bonus, I was reading it all on my new iPad 2!!!!!

Rating: *****

3 comments:

  1. So far, this is my favorite Newbery 2012 book. Of course, I've only read 4-5 books that are really eligible. I couldn't get all the way through Small Persons with Wings or Amelia Lost. I'll have to go those another try. Exciting that you got to use your iPad 2! Happy late birthday, by the way!
    -Sam B. from Cincinnati

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, which do you like better-- a book with paper pages or an Ipad?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't particularly care whether a book is paper or electronic, I like reading them either way.

    ReplyDelete