Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Tale of Despereaux

About a year ago, I read this book in class. It is always fun when I get to hear what other kids think of these books. This is a book about just what the subtitle says, "Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread". Despereaux, the mouse, is different. He likes to spend time with the Princess, even though she is human. This is a book about courage, overcoming obstacles, and living life, no matter how hard it is. I enjoyed this book for some of the same reasons I enjoyed The Magician's Elephant: the writing style and the plot.

Rating: *****

4 comments:

  1. I became a big fan of Kate DiCamillo after I worked in a 3rd grade classroom with a fabulous teacher who read this during read-aloud time. The kids were transfixed and always excited for "Despereaux" time. I loved the fact that the story was such a strong tale of redemption. I loved the fact that, as a children's story, it held so much deeper meaning for adults to glean. Please be sure to read this again (perhaps aloud to your children) when you are an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I love this book! My teacher in second grade read this aloud at the end of the day. It was so detailed, I LUV books that are detailed. The character Despereaux was so charming and had so much background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kate DiCamillo! At first I didn't want to read the Tale of Depereaux but when I finally did I realized it was funny, witty and lots of fun to read. It's a great book to read as a family and it's also great to read by yourself. I hope everyone else who reads it loves it just as much as me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Center Grove Middle School North StudentJanuary 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM

    I really enjoyed this book, and urged my family to read it too! Once they picked it up, they could not put it down, the same as me! I would suggest this book to anyone, any age!

    ReplyDelete