Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Secret Garden

As soon as I opened this book, I was drawn into the world of the secret garden. A lot of people think that this would be a book for just girls, but it is important to remember that two of the three main characters are boys and there is plenty of adventure that would make this a good book for both boys and girls. I hope that I am not at all like Mary at the beginning of this story, obstinate and selfish, but I could still relate to her. I was amazed by how much Mary and Collin were changed by the magic of the world and the garden. This book was filled with unusual circumstances that drew three friends together, each of whom had some way that they needed to improve or change. I’m not one for gardening, but I love flowers. I think that this book would appeal to people who don’t have personal experience with growing things because the garden is just the way that the change in Mary, Collin, and Dickon comes about.


Rating: *****

7 comments:

  1. I have always loved this book. I recently read another book of hers, "Little Lord Fauntleroy." I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must have read this book at least 4 times. When I was in my grade school years, I think I read it once a year. It makes me happy that 50 years later, it still made such a good impression on you, especially since now kids have so many great books to read. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read this book many times. I loved it as a kid and then read it to all my kids. It does work well for both girls and boys.

    It has given me a life long dream of having my own secret garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i also love the secret garden like she said as soon as you start reading it's amazing it's also the best book i've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Center Grove Middle School North StudentNovember 9, 2010 at 8:25 PM

    This book of mine has barely been closed, the bookmark barely in it. I have read it so many times and not put it down! I would suggest this book to ANYONE and I love it so much! There is no doubt that you will love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Center Grove Middle School North StudentNovember 9, 2010 at 8:33 PM

    I think each and every person should read this book. It is greatly loved and enjoyed by every age. My dad and younger brother have already read it, and so have I! All of us loved it and can not wait to read the newest series!

    ReplyDelete