Saturday, May 15, 2010

Rifles for Watie

Common sense would indicate that it is impossible to have fought for both the North and the South in the Civil War and live to tell about it. I’m not sure anybody really did, but the character Jefferson Davis Bussey in this story did, and that was a great way to get to see what the Civil War was like from lots of different points of view. This book is a bit long and it kind of drags on with lots of adventures as the author makes sure that Jefferson is in the middle of much of the action of the Cival War, but I still liked it.


Rating: *** and 1/2

2 comments:

  1. I just finished this one the other day. Considering that I am female, don't really care for Civil War books and that, as you say, it is a bit long, I ended up liking the book. I thought the best part was that it showed both sides, that neither side was better or worse when it came to the individuals and that war is basically wasteful and destructive to most people. Then again, Jeff Bussey was almost too good to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy,
    I agree war is basically wasteful and destructive, I wish we would have learned that lesson by now. What are you reading next?

    ReplyDelete