Monday, March 8, 2010

The Story of Mankind

I saved the first for last. This is the first Newbery Medal winner, while it did "start it all" it is really very different than most Newberys. For one thing, it is nonfiction, which is rare, for another the illustrations are an important part of the book. I read a second edition (1926) of the book, I wanted to read the book that was the winner, newer editions have been added to include more recent events and have been edited to make some of the langue less offensive. I now have the first edition and will read it after The Evolution of Calpernia Tate. I may read the 1999 version later and compare the books. This edition was a little boring because it was meant to be a text-book, but I still loved every bit of it. I can't believe that I'm done!!!!!!!!!!!


Rating:*****

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Laura! How long did the entire project take? I started with "The Story of Mankind" and found it boring as well. Luckily I had read many other Newbery medalists and knew that the other books were not like that. Do you have a new reading project in mind?

    I'd like to recommend a book to you. It won a Newbery Honor Medal in 2008, "The Wednesday Wars" by Gary D. Schmidt. It is one of the best books I've read in years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I have been following you for a while now. I hope you continue your blog and post reviews of what you read. I have The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate on my desk to read in the next month, so I look forward to hearing what you thought about it. I am in graduate school learning to be a librarian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Laura! I'm so proud of you!!!
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I know how it feels to finish a big reading project because that is what I always do; put my reading into projects. Thank you for an enlightening and entertaining blog.
    Whatever you do next, if you blog it, I will read it.
    Love, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Laura!!!! What a great goal and wonderful accomplishment. Keep blogging!

    Kurt Offereins

    ReplyDelete