Thursday, April 8, 2010

Rabbit Hill

This is a REALLY short, fun story about; you guessed it, rabbits that live on a hill! It was entertaining for a couple hours and perfect for a school day (in between class, after a test and all the free time that comes with being in elementary school). I was amazed about how short it was. In the world of Newberys (my world), this book is one of the shortest books (Missing May is also really short). But, the few words Mr. Lawson uses are delicately chosen and tell the whimsical tale of Little Georgie, Mother, and Father. A little fun and whimsy never hurt anyone!


Rating: *****

4 comments:

  1. Howdy, Laura - great idea for a blog! Looks like you're well on your way to reaching your reading goal. I found you via School Library Journal's FUSE 8 blog, by the way, so you may see a spike in your blog traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for visiting, I look forward to reading Briar-Bound (let me know when it comes out!). I have gotten more traffic today, so cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Laura, I like your blog! I loved Rabbit Hill when I was your age but wasn't sure if it still held up well. I'm glad to see you liked it. Which of the Newbery's did you find really weren't interesting for a 21st century tween...I'm sure there must be some of them.

    Margo T (mom and children's librarian in training)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margo T,
    The Dark Frigate, way too much Old English, and Strawberry Girl both really weren't my favorite and I can't imagine why a kid who wasn't reading ALL the Newberys would read them. In general most of the books have something about them that would appeal to kids today. Some people get worried that the older books contain stereotypes and outdated language that is offensive, I think it is good for kids to learn about how appropriate words change as long as they know that those aren't words to use today.
    Thanks for checking out my blog!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete