Friday, April 2, 2010

Miss Hickory

Miss Hickory is a charming doll made from a twig (her body) and a hickory nut (her head). She faces many challenges, so, she has to have help from animals to survive. When I read this book, it seemed to have the little bit of charm that a lot of Newberys are just too serious to have. This book reminded me of when I was a 1st grader. Back then, I read the books that all of the kids my age were reading. If someone liked the book Junie B., First Grader: Shipwrecked, I would read it. . Miss Hickory seemed like the type of story that the first-grade girls would talk about for weeks. I also think it would be a great book to read aloud, especially to little girls.


 
Rating: *****

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for Miss Hickory. I loved this one too. I had so many dolls when I was growing up (as well as paper dolls) and with my younger sisters, played dolls until I was supposed to be way too old. We had a paper doll with a really small head, whom we named "Pin Head." We made her be really smart and sassy and brave. Like Miss Hickory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for smart, sassy and brave-- for both dolls and girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right. I read this one aloud to my daughter when she was six. We loved it.

    ReplyDelete