Monday, December 28, 2009

The Midwife's Apprentice

This is the story of a young girl who knows only the name Brat and how she finds shelter and warmth in a farmer's dung heap. In this dung heap Jane, the village midwife, finds her and she begins her career as a midwife's apprentice. As she grows older and becomes more experienced, Alyce, what Brat wants her name to be, turns into a very good midwife. I liked this book because it was about growing up without being annoying like some Newberys are, the ones with the same plot. I also liked this book because it was about a girl instead of a boy; it seems like all of the Newberys are about boys.

Rating: *****

4 comments:

  1. Your comment about the number of Newbery winners featuring boys is interesting. It makes me want to go back and take another look at *my* favorites to see if they featured more boys or girls as main characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read several boy book lately and the ones who feature girls tend to be my favorites. I am reading Invincible Louisa right now and it is not only about a girl but about a famous writer. I really want to be a writer so, I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As as middle school reading teacher, I have to work hard to find books that boys and girls will enjoy equally. I have found that girls will read books with a boy protagonist, but boys don't like to read books with girl protagonists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe girls are just better at following directions.

    ReplyDelete