Thursday, January 7, 2010

Melonhead

This book made me laugh out loud at times. I think the only thing that would keep it from being the Newbery is competition. It would be nice to have such a fun and light-hearted book on the list of serious winners. This was the story of a nine-year-old boy nick-named Melonhead, his last name is Melon, and his adventurous life. He does some of the most impossible things. In two weeks he can get his foot stuck in a tree and have to be rescued by the Jaws of Life, rescue a snake, get in trouble for owning a sake, enter a contest, and nearly forfeit the contest. Even if this isn't the Newbery it's worth reading for a good laugh.

Rating: *****

6 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one yet, but it sounds like something funny and wacky! Thanks for sharing about it...I'll have to look it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fun and wacky! I wish I read more books like this one. ALL of the Newberys are much more serious than Melonhead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to high school with the author of Melonhead. She is one of my best friends and makes me laugh, too! I'm glad you like her book. She's writing another one now and also did a number of books about the adventures of Lucy Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too grew up with the author and her delightfully hilarious family. She has lots of material to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is super cool! To grow up with a funny author would be fun. I wonder who amoung my friends might some day grow up to be a famous author...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you know that there is a MELONHEAD II book, and a third one is coming out this year?

    Katy Kelly also write the Lucy Rose books. They're all really fun too!

    ReplyDelete