Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Reaching for Sun

 On Thanksgiving, my family went to help out at a church that was serving meals to those who couldn't afford a turkey or didn't have anyone to share it with.  Because I am not old enough to help in the kitchen, I spent part of the day reading Reaching for Sun.  This book told the story of a seventh-grade girl with cerebral palsy who is making friends with her neighbor, Jordan, and struggleing to live with her disability.  I really liked how Josie told her story through poems because it seemed like if this story was told through prose it would seem to skip around a lot and not make sense.  The poetry was also perfect for a day when I couldn't just sit down and read but had to read a page or two, go do something else, and then come back to the book.  I think that this book was truly poetic and deserving of the Schneider Family Book Award.

Rating:  *****

No comments:

Post a Comment