Thursday, January 13, 2011

Louder Than Words: The First Collection

For Christmas I got one book.  It probably seems odd that I didn't get more, but I am kind of hard to buy books for because people don't know what books I have read (I did get $100 worth of book gift cards!  Yay!).  The book I did get was the first collection of Louder Than Words memoirs, consisting of Chelsey: My True Story of Murder, Loss and Starting Over by Chelsey Shannon, Emily: My True Story of Chronic Illness and Missing Out On Life by Emily Smucker, and Marni: My True Story of Stress, Hair-Pulling and Other Obsessions by Mari Bates.  I really enjoyed this book because I felt like I could relate to these girls.  I liked it so much that I ordered the next three books in the series and looked to see if there are any similar stories out there.  It surprised me that Louder Than Words is the first series of teen-authored memoirs, because it is a really great idea and fascinating to read. This is a great series to read if you want to become a writer.

Rating:  *****

1 comment:

  1. Hey Laura, I'm so glad you liked my book! I'm Emily Smucker, by the way, author of "Emily." I found your profile fascinating, as I am OBSESSED with Newbery winners and my ultimate author goal is to win either the Newbery metal or the Newbery honor.
    I want to read all of them someday. Haven't done it yet though. That's how I found pretty much all of my favorite authors, I read their Newbery winner and then I read other books by them.
    Take care!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete