Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Junonia

Which book will win the Newbery this year?  Maybe, the one that is good enough to read in a hospital bed!


This book is really well written. It has loads of similes and metaphors, but not so many that they distract the reader from the story. This story was a great one, so I was doubly glad to not be distracted. Alice wants her tenth birthday to be perfect, and it seems like it could be until things start going terribly wrong. The worst thing is that Aunt Kate is coming, but she is bringing along her boyfriend and 6-year-old Mallory. Alice doesn't want to share Kate (or anyone else, for that matter) with Mallory. Things go terribly wrong with Mallory and Alice's birthday is nothing like what she had imagined, but can it all work out? I recommend this book to EVERYONE, especially 10-year-old girls.

Rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book, too, Laura. Henkes is really good at getting Alice's feelings exactly right.
    Linda Urban

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it, Laura! Lots of folks dismissed it over at Heavy Medal, but I still think it is one of the best I've read this year...
    -Sam B. from Cincinnati

    ReplyDelete