Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Cardturner, more from me

Some readers (Sam B) have teased me about how Holes was not one of my favorite Newbery's, but I speak from my point of view.  I think it might be a book that appeals more to boys (my brother likes it more than me).  But, the teasing was good because it lead me to read The Cardturner, which I loved. I loved it so much that I wanted to learn to play bridge, lucky for me a friend of my dad's, Mrs. Testin, is a life master.  She recently retired and together with some ladies in her neighborhood is teaching me to play.  I had to laugh when I read that Betsy Bird of FUSE #8 asked, "why a person would want to read a children’s book on playing bridge".  Bridge is the perfect game to write and read about because there are lots of things to think about in this game.  Another interesting thing about this book is that I am finding people who have never read a children's book before (or at least not as adults) are really liking it.  This book crosses ages, if I included more than 5 titles in my Mock Newbery group this would have been a great book to include.  I think lots of kids are like Betsy and might think at first this topic would not interest them, but The Cardturner would quickly change their minds!


1 comment:

  1. Okay, after the winner is announced in January and my reading load is lighter, I officially want you to teach me to play bridge - actually, I want you and Mr. Sachar to team up and teach me. That would be cool, wouldn't it?
    -Sam B. from Cincinnati

    ReplyDelete