Friday, January 7, 2011

My Schneider Family Book Award Pick

You know that I am NUTS for the Newbery, but I have another favorite book award that will be picked this week at Midwinter, The Schneider Family Book Award, honors an author or illustrator for the artistic expression of the disability experience for child and adolescent audiences.  I love this award because it highlights authors who are telling stories that reflect my experience.  Last year Nora Raleigh Baskin was the winner of the middle-school award for Anything But Typical, which I LOVED.
This year I had an early favorite and, despite reading several other great books, it never changed.  Out of My Mind, is simply amazing, powerful and true.  I can't wait to start reading next year's contenders, and am so happy that kids who are growing up with disabilities have more and more great books to read where they can see themselves in the characters on the pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment