Saturday, May 7, 2011

Small as an Elephant

Another amazing Mock Newbery! How am I ever going to decide? Anyway, I loved this book. Even though Jack was the age of the kids Newberys are written for, I felt that this book was written for kids who are at least 12 (still eligible for the Newbery, I know) and might do better as a YA winner. I thought Jack's story was sad, but I felt like lots of kids who are going through similar things (not necessarily that a parent abandoned them, but that a parent is mentally ill) could really understand Jack and benifit from this story because they don't see their family represented in books very often. I really enjoyed reading this book and I think that everyone would, no matter what age + gender.

Rating: *****

1 comment:

  1. I'm halfway through this book right now. Your post makes me want to read the rest. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete