Sunday, April 22, 2012

The One and Only Ivan

This story was sad, I was warned and a little bit worried because I wasn't sure I was in the mood for a sad story,but I liked it. The way Ivan was so determined to do his duty as a silverback and protect Ruby was awesome. I liked how Ivan counted his days living with the humans. It's sad how he was isolated in his cage for so long. I have read a TON, and the fact that this book doesn't remind me of any book is notable.  Books with animals characters that take on humane qualities are very common in the world of children's literature, often they are not that good,  Katherine  Applegate's story is definitely a step above!  I think that anyone who reads this book will instantly love it.

1 comment:

  1. I liked this one, too, Laura. I felt like I knew Ivan, and Ruby, Stella, Bob and the other characters. Yet, even though Ivan narrated his story, I never felt like he lost his "gorilla-ness". This book made me think a lot about how humans treat wild animals, and how hard it can be to do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete