Sunday, April 15, 2012

WE'VE GOT A JOB: The 1963 Birmingham Children's March

When I was reading this book, we were studying  this time period in class and it was really bothering me that the facts in my classmates' reports were contradicting the facts in this book. Someone got countless dates and numbers wrong, and I'm betting it was the middle schoolers since this book cites quite a few  interviews and documents and other sources.
If you have been reading my blog for a while you might be surprised that, I really enjoyed this book!   I don't normally like nonfiction (it can be boring). After the first four chapters of We've Got a Job(which I found tedious to read) the story made it hard for me to put the book down. I liked how the order of the facts made sense since it was chronological order and the facts weren't just randomly listed, they were woven into the story. Also, it seemed more like a story than a dry nonfictionbook of facts, it reads like a novel.  I believe it is a Newbery contender, and a great way to learn about this time period. I think kids will like to read about the power and impact that other children had.

1 comment:

  1. I'm betting it was the middle schoolers since this book cites quite a few interviews and documents and other sources.

    ReplyDelete