Monday, January 6, 2014

What the Heart Knows

Kids everywhere would really appreciate it if this book won the Newbery. Pretty much every kid
(except me) tries to find the shortest book possible for their Newbery book report, and I read this one in only fifteen minutes. However, books of poetry rarely win. Although the poems in this collection are thought-provoking and charming, I don't think that they are special enough for this book to win against the stellar middle-grade novels that are typically chosen. The topics of the poems are many and varied, but the writing style is consistent and high quality. This book also contains beautiful illustrations that make it more interesting, but only the text of a book can be considered when it is being discussed (unless other aspects detract from the text).

Rating: ****

1 comment:

  1. Heyy :) A book I really liked when I younger and I still like is called Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling. It's one of my favourites you'll probably like, you have even read it before but anyways bye. :D

    ReplyDelete