Monday, March 8, 2010

My Interview With Maria Salvadore, Newbery Judge

1. What is your favorite children’s book?
Charlotte’s Web
Where the Wild Things Are
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate
Holes
Up a Road Slowly
The Giver
Number the Stars
Read: When the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin
2. Do you have a favorite adult book? If so, what is it?
The Guernsey Literary Club and Potato Peel
3. Do you like to read children’s literature or adult literature more?
Children’s Literature
4. When you were my age, what was your favorite subject in school?
Reading/Writing/Art
5. What is it like to be on the Newbery Committee?
Huge work and huge fun VERY intense
6. What is your favorite book that you read while on the Committee?
The winner and honors I really liked
7. Was there a book that you thought should be the Newbery that wasn’t chosen?
No, When You Reach Me was very good
8. How many books did you read this year?
1,000
9. How long have you been on the Committee?
First time
10. How do you get chosen to be on the Committee?
She was elected
Some others were nominated
11. Is there any criteria that you have to meet to be on the Committee?Be a member of association of library services for children
12. Is there a particular book that you didn’t like that you read this year?
“If a book can stand up to many readings, than it is surely good,” Maria said. She also said that shedidn’t want me to post about the book(s) that she didn’t like.
13. What was it like?
Intense tiring didn’t sleep well while at meeting gratifying
14. Was there any arguing about what book should win?
Can’t say
15. Where did you meet?
Midwinter conference, Boston
16. How long have you been on the Committee?
Chaired Caldecott
First time on Newbery
17. How long is a “term” on the Committee?
1 year, every 5 years
18. Have you ever considered writing a book?
Yes, they were published
All text books
19. What would it be about?
Children’s Literature
20. Would it be for adults or children?
Adults
21. Who is your favorite author?
Catherine Patterson
Lois Lowry
E.B. White
J.R. Tolkin
Russell Freedum
John Scieszka
22. Have you met an author?
Yes, lots
23. Do you have any funny stories about meeting authors?
She enjoyed her friendships with authors, and if she told their funny stories she might not have as many friendships.
If so, what are they?
24. How many people are on the Committee?
15
14 members and a chair
25. Did you like this year’s winner, When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead?
No, the first time she read it she did not
Then yes, after she read it a second time, she started to like it more and more
“if a book can stand up to many readings, than it is surely good,” Maria said.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on meeting your goal, Laura! What an outstanding project.

    When I was a child, my mother had a set of Authors game cards. This included about 12 to 15 authors (like Mark Twain, Washington Irving, Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Louisa May Alcott ... oh I could probably name them all if I tried, but) and each author had 4 cards with titles of their books on the top. The goal was to acquire the most author sets for the win.

    As kids, we loved that game and played it often. One summer, my mom challenged us to read the most books from that card set. I don't remember which of us won, but I remember having such a hard time as a 10 year old girl, trying to read The Last of the Mohicans .

    I still have the game and can't wait until my younger sons are old enough to play it with me (with the oldest, it would be like pulling teeth and probably not very fun).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I'm Rachel. My mom knows your dad from college. I just read your blog and I think the challenge you took on was cool. I also love to read. I'm in a program at my school called "Battle of the Books".My favorite book so far is called Paint the Wind. What is yours so far this year? I live in Greenville South Carolina. I hope to stay in touch and get to know each other. Have you finished your goal yet?

    ReplyDelete